About the Board
The North Dakota Board of Medicine was established in 1890 to protect the citizens of the state by regulating the practice of medicine. The Board licenses physicians, physician assistants and fluoroscopy technicians and disciplines them if they violate the state's medical practice act.
There are thirteen members of the board, appointed by the Governor to four year terms. No member may serve more than two consecutive terms. There are nine Medical Doctors, two public members, one Doctor of Osteopathy and one Physician Assistant on the board.
The board is supported by a full-time professional staff located in Bismarck. Although the board is part of state government, it receives no tax dollars and is funded solely by license fees.